4. Records of the Support Departments
Found in 23 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The three series in this collection are comprised of records created by the museum Archives. Beginning approximately in 1962, the earliest records are general files compiled by the archivists over a thirty-year period. Files pertain to topics concerning the Museum's operation and the preservation and the temporary closing of the museum's Archives. Reference reports of researchers visiting the Archives from 1986 to 1999 comprise the second record series. The third and largest series pertains to...
Dates: 1962-2006, undated
Abstract The Department of Urban Outreach of the Philadelphia Museum of Art was established in 1970 as an effort to reach new audiences by bringing art and art programs directly into Philadelphia neighborhoods. In 1977, it became the Department of Community Programs, hereafter referred to as the Department. This collection documents the activities of the Department. The records date from 1951 to 1984, the bulk dating from 1970 to 1980, and include correspondence, exhibit planning documentation,...
Dates: 1951-1984; Majority of material found within 1970-1980
Abstract The collection documents the establishment and early operations of the Philadelphia Museum of Art's conservation laboratory and the use of photographic technology in conservation and curatorial work. While the majority of the material pertains to the activities of Henri Marceau, Curator of Painting and Sculpture, and of the John G. Johnson Collection, and of David Rosen, who served as an adviser to the museum's conservation and technical research projects, the collection also includes some...
Dates: 1932-1969, undated
Abstract Development and Membership Department Records mostly document the operation of the Development Office under its two Assistant Directors Philip Thompson and Noble Smith.
Dates: 1927, 1940-1989; Majority of material found within 1967-1981
Abstract These records comprise of materials from the Development office as it transitioned from operating jointly with Membership, under the Administration division of the Museum and when Development became a separate department within the organizational structure.
Dates: circa 1967-1996