Conservation Department Records
Scope and Contents
Material includes correspondence and departmental records of Siegl, and some departmental records following Siegl. Of interest are Siegl's records of meetings and conferences of the International Institute for Conservation and the American Institute for Conservation.
- Siegl, Theodore (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Conservation Department Records are the physical property of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. The Museum holds literary rights only for material created by Museum personnel or given to the Museum with such rights specifically assigned. For all other material, literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. Researchers are responsible for obtaining permission from rights holders for publication and for other purposes where stated.
Biographical / Historical
The Conservation Department was established in 1966 under Theodor Siegl, who was initially hired as a part-time conservator in 1955. Prior to Siegl becoming a full-time conservator, individual conservators were contracted as needed. From 1955 to 1966, Siegl and his growing staff of assistants were aligned with the Painting and Sculpture Department. In 1978 Marigene Butler became Conservator and also in 1978 a new Conservation Laboratory was opened.
2.5 linear feet
Language of Materials
Conservation Department Records comprise of correspondence and departmental records of Theodore Siegl.
These materials were arranged and described by Merle Chamberlain and Louise F. Rossmassler. Funded by a grant from The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation.
- Guide to the Conservation Department Records
- Finding aid prepared by Merle Chamberlain and Louise F. Rossmassler
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funded by a grant from The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation