Scope and Contents
Records include bound volumes of School Circulars (1879-1946), School Board of Governors Minutes (1943-1964), and various ephemera related to exhibitions and programming.
- Dorr, Dalton (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Records of the Schools are the physical property of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. The Museum holds literary rights only for material created by Museum personnel or given to the Museum with such rights specifically assigned. For all other material, literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. Researchers are responsible for obtaining permission from rights holders for publication and for other purposes where stated.
Biographical / Historical
Originally entitled the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art, the museum was committed to maintaining schools for the training of young artists. The School of Industrial Art was incorporated with the museum in 1876 and separated from the PMA in 1964. Currently its name is The University of the Arts College of Art and Design. The Textile School was created in 1884 and severed ties in 1948. It was then called the Philadelphia Textile Institute, now the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science.
2.5 linear feet
Language of Materials
These records document the activities of the School of Industrial Art when it was part of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
These materials were arranged and described by Merle Chamberlain and Louise F. Rossmassler. Funded by a grant from The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation. Additional materials added by Cassandra Shiflet.
- Guide to the Schools Records
- Finding aid prepared by Merle Chamberlain and Louise F. Rossmassler
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funded by a grant from The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation