Photography Department Records
Scope and Contents
This small record group consists of a file of general correspondence, followed by subject folders arranged alphabetically.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Photography Department Records are the physical property of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. The Museum holds literary rights only for material created by Museum personnel or given to the Museum with such rights specifically assigned. For all other material, literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. Researchers are responsible for obtaining permission from rights holders for publication and for other purposes where stated.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Whitenack was hired as the first staff photographer in 1920, and remained until 1956 when he was succeeded by Alfred J. Wyatt. Wyatt was photographer until leaving in 1976. Under these two photographers, the Department of Photography grew and performed such functions as photographing the collections and making photographs for museum and outside publications.
0.5 linear foot
Language of Materials
This small record group consists of a file of general correspondence, followed by subject folders arranged alphabetically, from the Photography Department.
These materials were arranged and described by Merle Chamberlain and Louise F. Rossmassler in 1987. Revised 2007. Funded by a grant from The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation.
- Guide to the Photography Department Records
- Finding aid prepared by Merle Chamberlain and Louise F. Rossmassler in 1987. Revised 2007.
- 1987, 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funded by a grant from The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation