Skip to main content

Fairmount Park Commission, 1926-1954, undated


Scope and Contents

Established by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1867, the Fairmount Park Commission was charged with the administration of park affairs and maintaining its 8,900-acre citywide grounds. With the decision in the early 1900s to build a new museum on the site of a former reservoir on the hill of Fairmount, the Commission became the City's overseer of its construction. The Commission was also responsible for the museum's public funding, appropriated in its budget under Care and Maintenance of Art Museums, and covering various expenses and wages of certain museum employees, such as attendants, watchmen, engineers and electricians. Most of the material in these records is correspondence with the various commissioners as well as other papers on various topics administered by the Commission, including the museum's monthly expense reports.


  • 1926-1954, undated

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research. Because of its fragile condition, the following item may only be consulted with permission of the Archivist: floor plan with annotations of PMA Gothic installations (in "Objects and related topics" series, "European decorative arts and arms and armor" subseries, "Rooms and architectural elements" sub-subseries, "England. Gothic installations at PMA, incl. Abergavenny, Wales" file).


From the Series: 11 linear feet

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English


Materials are divided by commission personnel and by various administrative topics, including finance.


Repository Details

Part of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Library and Archives Repository

Philadelphia Museum of Art
PO Box 7646
Philadelphia PA 19101-7646 United States