Hood, Graham, 1936-
In 1965, Graham Hood was Associate Curator of the Garvan and Related Collections of American Art at Yale University Art Gallery. At the close of the decade Hood was working at the Detroit Institute of Art as curator of American Art. During the early 1970s, Hood accepted a position at Colonial Williamsburg, where he served as vice president for collections and museums and Carlisle H. Humelsine curator until his retirement in December 1997. His book, "Bonnin and Morris of Philadelphia: the first American porcelain factory, 1770-1772," was published in 1972. Hood has also written about American silver, the Governor's Palace in Williamsburg, Virginia and Charles Bridges and William Dering, two painters of colonial Virginia. He also edited the catalogue to the 1970 exhibition of the Robert Hudson Tannahill bequest to the Detroit Institute of Arts.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The departmental files document the work of the American Art department, as well as related activities from the 1960s that predate its formal establishment. The American Art Department originated in 1973 with the impetus of America's up-coming Bicentennial and the Museum's Centennial celebrations.
This collection consists primarily of correspondence curator and scholar Graham Hood generated during his 1965 to 1970 research of America's first porcelain manufactory, and during and after the publication of his book regarding the same. The work, entitled "Bonnin and Morris of Philadelphia: the first American porcelain factory, 1770-1772," was published in 1972.