Philadelphia Museum of Art Archives
Philadelphia Museum of Art Archives

Painting and Sculpture Department Records Edit

Summary

Identifier
PAI

Dates

  • 1924-1999 (Creation)

Extents

  • 137.08 linear feet (Whole)

Agent Links

Notes

  • Abstract

    None available.

  • Processing Information

    These materials were arranged and described by Alice Lefton, Bertha Adams, Megan Finn and Leslie O'Neill. Funded by a grant from The National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

  • Access Restrictions

    The collection is open for research. Access to institutional records less than 10 years old is at the discretion of the Archivist.

  • Use Restrictions

    The Painting and Sculpture Department Records are the physical property of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. The Museum holds literary rights only for material created by Museum personnel or given to the Museum with such rights specifically assigned. For all other material, literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. Researchers are responsible for obtaining permission from rights holders for publication and for other purposes where stated.

  • Preferred Citation

    [Item identification and date], [Series info.], Painting and Sculpture Department Records, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives.

  • Related Material

    Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. Prints, Drawings and Photographs Department Records

    Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. Far Eastern Art Department Records

    Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. Medieval Art Department Records

  • Historical Note

    When the Painting and Sculpture Departments were allied, the Painting curators were Arthur Edwin Bye from 1922 to 1928, and Henry Clifford from 1929 to 1965, while the Sculpture curators were Horace H. F. Jayne and Francis H. Taylor from 1927-1930. Of special interest is Bye's bibliography and Clifford's participation with the American Committee for the Restoration of Italian Monuments.

    Henry Gardiner was Assistant Curator in the Painting Department (under Henry Clifford) from 1960 to 1968. From 1968 to 1971 John L. Tancock was Associate Curator of Sculpture and there was no official Curator of Painting. In 1972 Anne d'Harnoncourt was named Associate Curator of Twentieth Century Painting and Joseph J. Rishel was Associate Curator of Painting before 1900. In 1973 the Department was split, with Anne d'Harnoncourt as Curator in the newly established Twentieth Century Art Department, and Joseph Rishel became the Curator of Painting in the new European Painting before 1900 Department. Peter Sutton came in 1979 as Assistant Curator, was named Associate Curator in 1982 and left in 1984 to join the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

  • Scope and Content Note

    The records consist of departmental and exhibition records. The former is comprised of general correspondence and subject files. Documentation of exhibitions primarily consists of lender files, artist and object research files, photographs, draft catalogue writings and files of other subject peritinent to planning an exhibition, such as budget, labels and installation, travel, publicity, promotion and special events.

    Currently, this record group documents the curatorial office during its years of operation as the Painting and Sculpture Department, and as the Department of European Painting before 1900, the title it assumed in 1974 and under which it continues to operate.

Components