In 1969 Joan Root (Mrs. Stanley W., Jr.) served as vice chairman of the Museum Guides Program, which at that time operated as the Volunteer Guides. By the 1970-1971 annual report, which appears to be the first issue to record all the volunteer guides, Mrs. Root is listed as chairman of the weekday program. She chaired the program until 1974. Mrs. Root was also a member of the Women's Committee, and served as its President from 1977 to 1979. She remained an active member of the Committee until 1996, and continues today as a sustaining member.
Born in 1884, Carl Otto Kretzschmar von Kienbusch lived his entire 91 years at 12 East 74th Street in New York City. By the early 1970s, von Kienbusch devoted the entire second floor of his residence to house his collection of medieval arms and armor, which was comprised of more than 1100 objects, including 35 full suits of armor, and more than 135 swords and 80 helmets. Von Kienbusch graduated from Princeton University in 1906 and spent most of his life working in the tobacco industry. His family made their fortune in leaf tobacco. One of his earliest jobs, however, was with Bashford Dean, who at the time he hired von Kienbusch in 1912 was the curator of armor for the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Von Kienbusch represented Dean at armor auctions since the latter's presence at such events often caused prices to rise. Although von Kienbusch was completely blind the last 12 years of his life, he continued to add to his collection with the assistance of Harvey Murton, one of the last armorers, who also worked in that capacity for 43 years in the Metropolitan Museum's Arms and Armor Department. Prior to his death in 1976, von Kienbusch bequeathed his collection to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, as well as his related library. Princeton University received his collection of rare books on angling and certain paintings, manuscripts and objects, as well as funding for men's and women's athletics, student aid, the library, and art museum. His bequest to women's athletics was the first endowment the university ever received for that purpose. He was survived by his two daughters, Mrs Bayne Kelley and Mrs. John W. Little.