Philadelphia Museum of Art Archives
Philadelphia Museum of Art Archives

69th Street Branch Records Edit

Summary

Identifier
SIX

Dates

  • 1928-1933 (Creation)

Extents

  • 1.25 linear feet (Whole)

Notes

  • Abstract

    None available.

  • Processing Information

    These materials were arranged and described by Merle Chamberlain, Louise F. Rossmassler and Megan Finn. Funded by a grant from The National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

  • Access Restrictions

    The collection is open for research.

  • Use Restrictions

    The 69th Street Branch Records are the physical property of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. The Museum holds literary rights only for material created by Museum personnel or given to the Museum with such rights specifically assigned. For all other material, literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. Researchers are responsible for obtaining permission from rights holders for publication and for other purposes where stated.

  • Preferred Citation

    [Item identification and date], [Series info.], 69th Street Branch Records, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Library and Archives.

  • Related Material

    Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. Includes documentation of 69th Street Branch in the "Other sites" subseries of the "PMA-related facilities" series. Fiske Kimball Records.

  • Historical Note

    In 1931, the Pennsylvania Museum embarked upon an innovative, if short-lived, experiment in reaching new audiences by opening a branch site at the 69th Street Community Center. Located just outside the city limits in Delaware County with Philip N. Youtz as Curator, the Branch Museum mounted twenty-three exhibitions during its operation--ranging from Chinese art to 19th-century American painting. The Museum attracted over 215,000 visitors in its first year, but despite its popularity and generous funding from the Carnegie Foundation and private donor John H. McClatchy, financial difficulties forced it to close permanently on October 17, 1932.

  • Scope and Content Note

    With records spanning from 1928-1933, this small but intriguing collection documents the short-lived 69th Street Branch of the Pennsylvania Museum from its inception to its closure. Administrative records include correspondence, memoranda, minutes, planning records, press and publicity, photographs, and affiliations. Eighteen exhibitions held between 1931 and 1932 are individually documented, and other exhibition-related records--such as budgets, schedules, insurance, and loans--span from 1931 to 1933.

  • Arrangement

    Administrative records are arranged alphabetically by subject. Records pertaining to specific exhibitions are arranged chronologically, and general exhibition information is arranged alphabetically at the front of the series.

Components