Philadelphia Museum of Art Archives
Philadelphia Museum of Art Archives

Photography Department Records Edit




  • 1925-1974 (Creation)


  • 0.5 linear foot (Whole)

Agent Links


  • Abstract

    None available.

  • Processing Information

    These materials were arranged and described by Merle Chamberlain and Louise F. Rossmassler in 1987. Revised 2007. Funded by a grant from The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation.

  • Access Restrictions

    The collection is open for research.

  • Use Restrictions

    The Photography Department Records are the physical property of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. The Museum holds literary rights only for material created by Museum personnel or given to the Museum with such rights specifically assigned. For all other material, literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. Researchers are responsible for obtaining permission from rights holders for publication and for other purposes where stated.

  • Preferred Citation

    [Item identification and date], [Series info.], Photography Department Records, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Library and Archives.

  • Historical Note

    Charles Whitenack was hired as the first staff photographer in 1920, and remained until 1956 when he was succeeded by Alfred J. Wyatt. Wyatt was photographer until leaving in 1976. Under these two photographers, the Department of Photography grew and performed such functions as photographing the collections and making photographs for Museum and outside publications.

  • Scope and Content Note

    This small record group consists of a file of general correspondence, followed by subject folders arranged alphabetically.