These materials were arranged and described by Alice Lefton. Funded by a grant from The Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation.
The collection is open for research.
The Prints Department Records are the physical property of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. The Museum holds literary rights only for material created by Museum personnel or given to the Museum with such rights specifically assigned. For all other material, literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. Researchers are responsible for obtaining permission from rights holders for publication and for other purposes where stated.
[Item identification and date], [Series info.], Print Department Records, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives.
Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. Includes a comprehensive history of the Print Department, written in 1978 in the "Subjects, A-Z" series. Archives Reference Files.
Philadelphia Museum of Art, Archives. Painting and Sculpture Department Records.
The Department was initiated in 1923 under Arthur Edwin Bye, curator of Paintings. In 1930 Boies Penrose became the first curator of Prints, and in 1941 Carl Zigrosser succeeded him. Kneeland McNulty took over in 1963 after Zigrosser retired. McNulty served as assistant curator from 1952 until 1961, and associate curator from 1961 to 1964. He retired in 1980. The files from 1952 through 1963 were a combined effort upon the parts of these two curators, hence almost impossible to separate.
Material consists of Bye's correspondence from 1922 to 1928 in forming the Print Room, which was the forerunner of the Department; and that of Elizabeth Pearson who was an Assistant in the Prints Department from 1927 to 1932. Correspondence of Penrose and Zigrosser, as well as of McNulty, is also included.