Practiced as an engineer, lawyer and public official, Julius Zieget was Secretary of the Corporation from 1928 to 1963, and was appointed Treasurer in 1934. During his lengthy service, Zieget worked closely with Fiske Kimball, participating in PMA development. He was instrumental in securing WPA aid for the Museum, and he completed agreements with major donors. Upon his retirement in May 1964, Museum President R. Sturgis Ingersoll described Zieget as a devoted watchdog of the treasury. That year Zieget and his wife gifted to the Museum their collection of Shaker furniture, books and other objects. The collection was included in the Museum's 1962 Shaker exhibition.